Saturday, April 09, 2005

Now Hiring: Narcoleptics



An announcement now frequents the airwaves in the metro: "Attention passengers! The Carte Orange is modernizing! The monthly pass is now available as Navigo. Sign-up at the ticket window."

Navigo: a metro pass that magically allows you to slide through the turnstiles without having to slip your ticket through the machine. Just keep Navigo in the bottom of your bag, and slide it across the sensor.

This new and exciting technology was previously only available to those possessing a yearly card. Having a regular Carte Orange, I was jealous. So naturally, I found this new announcement riveting.

The next morning, I left for work a little early so I could stop by the ticket window and pick up a pass. When I arrived at les Halles, I found the ticket agent sleeping soundly behind the glass.

I cleared my throat and waited. Nothing. A man came up behind me. The ticket agent began to snore. I tapped on the glass. The man only pitched forward a little and began to snore into the microphone.

My fellow commuter and I looked at each other. We tapped on the glass again and listened to the snoring a few more minutes before giving up. I let the man follow me through the turnstile, the agent’s amplified snoring growing fainter as we disappeared down the hall.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The government mandated a 35-hour work week, but it would just be way too intrusive if they also mandated that the employee had to work during that time.

7:39 AM, April 10, 2005  
Blogger Chemical Billy said...

As I recall, the sleeping ticket agent is a proud tradition of the Paris metro. People gathered just to rate the snores.

9:02 PM, April 10, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww Nico, I miss you saying "shame" soo much. This brought back memories.

Antonio

3:56 AM, April 12, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you're quoted in "Le Parisien" this morning ! ;-)

A ce soir !

11:06 AM, April 13, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home