Thursday, March 24, 2005

Perdone

I was exhausted, heading home on the Two after a long day. We pulled into Blanche. I was actively visualizing my teleportation directly into my bed when I heard a loud screechy voice:

“Marcy, are we all on?”

Yep, they were all on, about six of them. It was as if the Alps decided, in unison, to board the Two: oversized American tourists, all wearing white starter jackets. All of them immense. They called to one another from across the car, like military commandos carrying out a dangerous operation in hostile territory:

“Okay guys, we get off at the next stop. Get ready to say perdone.”

Right, perdone. Pardon?

We arrived at Barbès, my stop and theirs. I sat transfixed, as the ringleader—the woman who obviously had taught the others how to scream “perdone”—stood facing the wall of tired commuters who were all uneager to make way for the herd from Omaha. “Perdone, perdone, perdone!” She of the copious flesh stood perplexed as the human mass failed to part on command. No Moses, she risked humiliation in front of members of the tribe as the magic spell’s effectiveness seemed in doubt. “PERDONE!”

A small passageway formed. The Alps filed out. Exiting the car, usually an ordeal during rush hour, was easy as I slid into place in their wake.

7 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

I have to tell you guys that I was lucky enough to have Nicolas tell me this story in person... The line "Perdone, perdone, perdone!", when he tells it, sounds like a Midwesterner nasally chanting the rhythm to "Sitdown, sitdown, sitdown, sitdown!" (Sit down, you're rockin' the boat.)

2:00 PM, March 24, 2005  
Blogger Randi said...

I'm noticing something here... You keep comparing things to us poor midwesterners.. why is that?

9:25 PM, March 26, 2005  
Blogger Emily said...

Nicolas can weigh in, I think that they were actually from the Midwest. Not so much a comparison, but just a transferal of the facts.

Don't get me wrong, the Midwest is alright. I've spent many a summer there, but you can't deny the fact that the accent is nasal. :)

9:49 PM, March 26, 2005  
Blogger Randi said...

All right, that's a given. BUT IT SEEMS LIKE THEY'RE ALWAYS BEING PICKED ON! Ah, well. They'll survive. hee hee.

2:49 PM, March 27, 2005  
Blogger Emily said...

Well maybe if you guys were a little quieter and would refrain from YELLING ALL THE TIME, then you'd go unnoticed, avoiding all picking-on. ;)

3:33 PM, March 27, 2005  
Anonymous Nicolas said...

Yep, I'm targeting Midwesterners. Keep'em out.

11:35 PM, March 29, 2005  
Blogger Emily said...

Nicolas, be nice, you're going to scare off our readers.

12:29 PM, March 30, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home